Good Morning everyone. We haven’t been able to do any more camping, but we have been working hard to obtain our goal of being full-time RV’ers. It sure is a slow process.
We took Winnie over to Cummins-Bridgeway to have the air conditioning looked at. When driving we had no cool air at all. Ugh. It was a good thing we did take her in. They found a few other repairs that needed to be taken care of. The sway bars were broken. Whatever that is. No idea how they break. They might have been broken when we bought her a year ago. There was also a leak in the oil cooling seal or there about. And, as we knew already, we needed a new chassis battery. They mentioned in their notes when we picked her up that the 2 coach batteries were in poor condition. If they would have said something to us we would have had them replace them also. Maybe they didn’t have that type of battery in stock. Who knows. Anyway, it was as rather expensive visit. It’s a good thing we had purchased the extended warranty which covered $970. It still cost us $1,300. I’m just happy to have her back and repairs completed.
The next week we took her to General RV to have the left front jack looked at. It would go down but not back up. We had to assist the process with a board. The other repair we needed to have looked at was the stove igniter switch. It wouldn’t light the stove. I needed to use a match. The jack they said wasn’t anything major. The stove igniter switch needs replacing and they had to order the part. When it comes in we will pay for that. They told me there would be no charge for them to install it. While we were there we had them replace the 2 coach batteries. Another expensive day – $550. But, I am really happy to have the peace of mind that the repairs are done. We just have to get the stove part in and installed.
On the home front, we had a garage sale the week-end after the 4th of July. It was a perfect weekend weather wise. We managed to eliminate a few things from our pile, just not enough. Many items ended up being donated. We’ve been working hard giving away and purging items. We are getting there, slowly but surely. Hopefully we will soon be ready to list our home and it will sell quickly.
Until next time,
It was finally warm enough to work on de-winterizing Winnie. This is the first time we did it ourselves. Last year we paid to have the RV service center do it for us. It’s a good thing we have manuals and a son who is mechanically inclined. Thanks Kevin, you are really appreciated. We made sure the antifreeze was drained and all plugs were in place. Even though the RV Center said they found a leak at the shut-off valve to the ice-maker we found none. All we can deduce is that the valve was loose and needed tightening. We will be vigilant and keep our eyes open though for any leaks in the future.
Next thing on our to-do list is to caulk our windows, etc. I need to figure out exactly what kind of caulk to buy. We are still concerned about the chassis battery. We think we still need a new one, as it is not holding a good charge. And then there is the jack that didn’t retract all the way. All 4 jacks were suppose to be worked on and fixed last year. We took Winnie in more than once for the same thing. And you wonder why I have no faith or trust in the RV service department. Other than that, we are ready to go camping. Can’t wait.
Until next time,
Last May 10th I posted about being overwhelmed with all that is involved in owning a class A motorhome. I was asked by my son Scott how I felt now about my abilities and on a scale between 1 and 10 how familiar am I with Winnie. I had to stop and think about that for a bit.
I no longer feel quite so overwhelmed as I did in the beginning, but in no way do I feel like I’ve got it all figured out. Everyday we learn something new. Most times, unfortunately, it’s learned the hard way-like having the batteries run dry. We had taken Winnie in to the dealership to be repaired and during the couple weeks they had her the batteries ran down. The repair guys didn’t check the batteries and sent us on our way home. The next week we couldn’t figure out why the batteries wouldn’t hold a charge. We finally figured out they were dry, bone dry. The steps wouldn’t retract and the front shades stopped working. After adding water to the batteries and plugging her in to shore power, she is now holding a charge. The steps go in and out, but the shades still do not work. We haven’t figured that out yet and it is too cold to play around with them right now.
Lesson learned: Batteries need water. Lots of water. Always check batteries. Don’t take anything for granted. The dealer doesn’t care. They only do as little as they have to and no more. (At least that’s how it is with the dealer we purchased Winnie from).
We still haven’t figured out when to use the inverter and when not to. The electrical system in a motorhome is still over our heads. The generator is still a foreign object. I know many of those things that we haven’t quite figured out will eventually be a piece of cake. The lightbulb just hasn’t gone on yet.
We would love to boondock this spring and summer, but we aren’t quite sure how to do it successfully. I’m sure we will give it a try and make a few mistakes. In the end we will figure it out and enjoy many more nights off the grid. Our goal is to eventually be able to boondock in Quartzsite, Arizona with other RV’ers.
So, to answer your question Scott, I feel much more competent than I did at first, but I’m still learning. On a scale between 1 and 10, 1 being where we were 7 1/2 months ago, I would say I am at a 6 right now. I know the more we get to use her the more at ease we will be.
Remember, we are the couple who rent movies to watch and take them back unwatched because we can’t figure out how to work the DVD player. Yep, just one or two more things to figure out.
Until next time,